Nightstand Part 1

This is the current project that I am working on. A nightstand featuring two shelves, some bun feet, and some decorative moulding. Feel free to download the sketchup file.

The carcass is constructed using through dovetails. I jumped on the D4 dovetail jig to create the dovetails. It does a great job with large case construction. The sides are less than 24″, so there was no limitation issue there.

I chose poplar for the entire project (except the back panel) as the final finish will be painted. The back panel is a 1/2″ piece of birch plywood. The poplar mills up nicely and behaves fairly well with the D4 if you remember to scribe a line at the depth of the dovetail.

I also used the D4 dovetail jig to cut sliding dovetails on the sides of the carcass. This was the first time I tried this feature on this jig. I was well pleased with the results. I nailed it on the first try. I just followed that incredibly detailed user manual, and they fit like a glove. A regular glove, not OJ’s murder gloves…those were a little tight.

This is where the project stands…a dovetailed carcase with two sliding dovetailed shelves. This is as far as I could get before I had to move last January. Unfortunately, I have not been able to do any woodworking in the past eight months. I have now moved into our new home, and I am currently working on setting up shop in my new garage. However, Hurricane Irene had something to say about that…woodworking is again on hold until I can clean up the mess she left behind.

To be continued…

-JR

Towel shelf

This was a fun little weekend project…

I made this shelf out of Poplar, a 1″ dowel, and some bead board for the back. I basically milled all the parts, and began to cut to final size. The top and sides are attached with biscuits. It was a quick and dirty way to join the boards and get the proper alignment with out too much effort.

The most challenging part (which wasn’t really challanging) of the project was cutting the curved side profile. I used a scroll saw and a drum sander to bring it to final dimension.

Ok, I just realized the most challenging part was to remember not to drill the hole all the way through the sides for the towel rod. I had forgotten about that…must have tried to block it out. On the up side, I now have a nice set of these that I might use for another shelf.

The bead board back (supplied by the client) was recessed into the sides with rabbet that I hand cut with a chisel. I broke all edges with some 220 sandpaper and the client primed and painted to their liking.

Details of the construction can be seen in the sketchup drawing.

-JR